FIRST CAPTAIN AND MEN’S HEAD COACH HONOURED WITH BOAT NAMING
Last Sunday, two notable club figures were honoured with their names being added to the club’s newest two boats: a men’s and a women’s coxless four.
Julie Lewis, current men’s head coach and member of the club since she walked off the plane from New York in 2006, was moved to tears as the Chairman unveiled her name on the new women’s coxless four, delivered just hours before the naming ceremony from the Filippi factory in Italy. Julie, or Jules as we all know and love her, was a key part of the women’s squad’s successes between 2007 and 2011, including a club record 25th place finish at WEHoRR in 2007. More recently she coached the men’s development group for two years before taking the position, as a volunteer, of men’s head coach in 2016. Jules also serves the club on Committee and is a willing volunteer.
The men’s coxless four, which was donated by a club member a few months ago was named after the club’s first captain, Harry T Phelps. We were honoured to be joined by Harry’s son, Maurice, and daughter, Jean, as well as representatives from the next two generations of the Phelps family. It was back in 1922 that Harry, then a member of the St. Mary’s recreation club, was a founder member of a new tradesmen’s rowing club which they named Putney Town Rowing Club. The association with the Phelps family has lasted through the intervening 96 years and we hope that it continues as the club heads towards its 100th birthday.